We’ve finished migrating our servers to a new provider - sorry for the pain, delay and downtime. Up next we want to look into any new bugs that have arisen in the past week, as well as long standing bugs that persist. Let us know at email@example.com Thanks!
Archive for 'Maintenance'
We are making some changes to the Blip servers. There may be some greater than usual glitchiness as a result over the next 24-48 hours. Apologies for any headache this may cause.
UPDATE: Site is back up. Also forgot to mention that the -video search flag is also working again.
First off, we’d like to thank everyone for their patience. We know this transition hasn’t been handled well and that getting Grooveshark tracks integrated took longer than we and you would have liked. That said, there are now nearly 1MM pristine MP3 tracks available via our search in partnership with Grooveshark’s api. Again, we know this is in no way a replacement for the tracks that are now unavailable, but we hope that it will at least serve as an initial attempt to improve the content quality while adhering to our licensing arrangement. Here is a small sample of some of the artists that are now available for blipping and streaming:
The Dandy Warhols
She & Him
The Sex Pistols
We’ll be monitoring usage this week and working with grooveshark to ensure that their api can handle normal usage from our site. It’s possible that there may be some rate limit issues, e.g. unavailable tracks at times, while we work through this. Also of note is that due to some technical limitations, all of the tracks we’re licensed to play don’t actually have a corresponding mp3 to play. If this sounds a little weird, don’t worry, it is Essentially there’s always discrepancies between the list of licensed tracks that are provided to us and grooveshark and the playable tracks themselves. In light of this, we’ve made our search smart so if a track is unavailable and there actually isn’t a corresponding file on grooveshark for the result, then it will no longer be shown. This means as time goes on you’ll see less and less unavailable tracks.
Finally, this is just the first step. We’re continuing to investigate options to bring back added content where possible. We also remain focused on ultimately providing a new offering that improves and expands upon the Blip.fm experience. Please let us know if you come across any issues with the new grooveshark tracks and email us via firstname.lastname@example.org. As always, we appreciate your support and understanding.
– The Blip.fm Crew
UPDATE 5:53 am PST - We’re having issues with one of our database tables. We’re in process of repairing this table, but this will likely take another hour or two.
Tonight’s maintenance will add one major new feature: the ability to follow your blip friends on twitter (if they’ve integrated their twitter account) right from within the Blip.fm website. There are also a number of bug fixes and performance improvements. Most notable of those is the quicker removal of YouTube links that have become unavailable. We’re also continuing to diagnose and fix the slowdown issues that have been affecting the site as of late. The blog will be updated with more details once the maintenance is over
Hey everybody. Wanted to give a quick rundown of what tonight’s maintenance is going to cover. Unfortunately, it’s not that exciting, mostly just small tweaks and fixes.
- Tweaks to the search. “-” (dash) and ” ‘ ” (apostrophe) characters have been causing some weirdness / bad results. That has been fixed. The new search also has a number of cool advanced options that we haven’t really covered - look for a blog about that soon.
- Tag Tuner improvements. The tag tuner should be much better at finding blips for artists, genres, and hashtags that you enter manually, not just those in the tag cloud itself. Pagination has also been improved a bit.
- Badge email preference. We like the badges and the response has been overwhelmingly positive, but it was always our intention to make this an optional part of the Blip.fm experience. You can now choose on your settings page to not be notified about new badges you’ve earned.
- Badge email improvements. We’ve added the particular blip that triggered the pioneer badge, and also a general description of each badge in their respective emails, so you know exactly what you did to earn them.
- Fixes to the “block user” function. You will no longer receive any communication (emails) from users that you’ve blocked.
- Backend stuff. As always, there are a number of bug fixes etc… that can’t really be tied to any particular part of the user experience, but they’re important too
See you on the other side!